The lawyers at Hamilton Martens handle a wide variety of litigation and transactional matters. As small business owners ourselves, we approach matters with a business person’s point of view, and provide you with the legal representation you need to make good business decisions. Examples of recent matters include the following:
- Successfully represented a national retail chain in litigation involving defective site preparation and construction of detention ponds on industrial warehouse property, obtaining a favorable settlement in excess of $500,000.00.
- Defended international manufacturer of float glass and glass products in a jury trial, resulting in a defense verdict in a claim alleging race discrimination when plaintiff was terminated for violation of company policy prohibiting discriminatory language.
- Represented an entrepreneur in obtaining a complete dismissal of federal claims by former employer under the federal Computer Fraud and Abuse Act.
- Successfully obtained dissolution of multiple mechanics liens filed by subcontractor against a national developer and regional general contractor in a new mixed-use development in Rock Hill.
- Successfully defended textile equipment manufacturer in claim filed by contractor alleging unguarded and unsafe design of machinery.
- Represented a national retailer seeking to expand nationwide distribution facilities in Rock Hill in identifying and acquiring an industrial site and negotiating real estate agreements with property owners, utility providers and local municipality.
- Represented a national architectural firm in litigation against a North Carolina school district and consulting structural engineer. We were successful in arguing before the North Carolina Supreme Court that the architect was entitled to indemnification by virtue of a pass through indemnification clause relating to construction of multimillion dollar school project.
- In Dykeman v. Wells Fargo Home Mortgage, 381 S.C. 333, 673 S.E.2d 804 (2009), we obtained summary judgment and dismissal of a class action lawsuit against national mortgage lender based upon alleged violations of South Carolina’s Mortgage Satisfaction Statute. Thereafter, we successfully defended that judgment on appeal to South Carolina Supreme Court.
- Represented regional developers in the acquisition, financing and leasing of multiple commercial sites throughout South Carolina for two national fast food chains.